Getting extravagant desserts delivered to your home is a dream come true. But did you know that the institution known as dessert is a relatively new one? In ancient times, people were thrilled to experience a little honey coating on their fruit or nuts. That sweet nectar of God was a marvelous delicacy to them, even if it was not even close to Sweet Street Desserts’ Luscious Lemon Bars or Red Velvet Bundt Cakes!
In the middle ages, everything changed when sugar was manufactured. But the price of sugar was so exorbitant that very few people could afford to enjoy the confections. In 3000 BC, we find proof that sweet treats were on the rise. Actually, the Chinese created the concept of ice cream at that time, and it’s often considered the first dessert.
Marco Polo is credited with bringing the ice cream recipe to Europe following his travels in Asia. Then Italy’s Catherine de Medici started the sorbet revolution. By the 1800s, there were plenty of flavored ice cream recipes floating around. Thankfully, the dessert train didn’t stop there.
Some other interesting dessert facts for consideration:
- Apple pie entered the scene in 1381.
- Bread crumbs soaked in spices and honey became “gingerbread” in 1400.
- A member of the French nobility is credited with the invention of pralines in 1600.
- It took a few hundred years’ worth of evolution, but the éclair made its debut in 1700.
- Records of cupcake recipes became common around 1740.
- Lemon custards and meringues showed up in the 1800s prior to the lemon meringue pie, which didn’t happen until the 19th
- Chocolate, which is composed of cocoa beans, is really only sweet because of the additional sugar; the beans themselves are quite bitter.
- Marshmallows, as we know them today, didn’t show up until the mid-19th Before that they were made from sap extracted from the root of the marshmallow plant, Althaea officinalis, and used as a sore throat remedy.
- Licorice was a medicinal tool as well and is actually related to peas and other similar legumes.
- Rhubarb was not initially a pie delicacy but was also used for medicinal purposes.
- The first pies and puddings were savory and mostly full of meat, vegetables and bread. Their purpose was to fill more bellies, not create more smiles.
Sweet Street is the Answer to Dessert Delivery
While Sweet Street Desserts doesn’t date all the way back to the 12th century, our nearly 40 years’ worth of devotion to dessert-making has earned us a position as an industry leader. The catalyst for our creativity – a cookie and a dream – has launched us into worldwide acclaim.
If you are looking for some seriously scrumptious treats to be delivered to your doorstep or place of employment, Sweet Street’s dessert home delivery is the way to go. Visit our website for over 50 delicacies that eagerly await your enjoyment. Meanwhile, take a look at a few of our customers’ favorites:
- Kentucky Pie
- Marble Chocolate Chip Cheese Brulee
- Jelly Roll Cupcakes
- Irish Cream Bash Pie
- Vanilla Bean Cupcake
- Meltaway Bar
- Salted Caramel Vanilla Crunch
- Lemonade Cake with Meyer Lemon Curd
- Chocolate Raspberry Crisp Cake
- Brown Cow Chocolate Pudding Cheesecake
With desserts this delectable you can’t go wrong. Try Sweet Street Dessert’s home delivery service for yourself! Order online or give us a call at (610) 929-2900!