Almost everyone has a sweet tooth, right? If you’re looking for a unique gourmet food gift or something to celebrate your own special event, arrange for a cupcake delivery to your coworkers, clients or favorite vendors in Chicago, Rockford, Joliet or Peoria. No matter which dessert you choose, your recipients will be tickled!
Headquartered in Reading, PA since 1979, Sweet Street Desserts has earned a reputation for baking the world’s best desserts. Our delectable treats are proudly served by restaurants, coffee bars and gourmet food shops in 60 countries around the world. They’ve even made it to The White House!
You won’t find artificial trans fats or genetically modified (GMO) ingredients in our cakes, pies, cheesecakes, dessert bars, cupcakes or brownies. We use the highest quality South American chocolates, plump vanilla beans, and all-natural farm-fresh ingredients to provide our customers with the tastiest desserts in the world.
A Little Cupcake History
There’s more to the cupcake than meets the eye. Cupcakes are glamorous and all the rage today, but that wasn’t always the case.
We know cupcakes today as individual little cakes in different flavors that are baked in muffin tins lined with paper or foil. They are usually frosted and are sometimes decorated with sprinkles and other candy.
According to historians, the earliest cupcake recipe (or “receipt,” as they were called) dates back to 1796. But they had a slightly different meaning then. They were given the name “cup cake” because their ingredients were measured in teacups, and not weighed, like most other cakes at the time.
Baking was hot and hard work in the late 1700s. Home ovens were brick and were used exclusively for baking bread, cake and pastry. To hold heat long enough to get their baking done, cooks had to build a wood fire inside to heat up the oven walls.
When the wood had burned to ash, she tested the heat by hand. If too hot, she allowed it to cool off. If too cool, she had to build another fire. Imagine trying to bake a cake today without a gauge to tell you how hot the oven was?
By the early 1800s, Americans had begun to substitute volume measurements (e.g., cups) for weight (e.g., ounces). It was far easier to find a teacup than an accurate scale, especially if you were migrating to the Wild West, and it saved an incredible amount of time in the kitchen. So, when a cake recipe was given in “cup” measurements, it was called a “cup cake.”
The original “cup cakes” called for 1 cup butter, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups flour, 4 eggs, 1 cup of milk, and 1 spoonful of soda. Because of this, they were often called “number” cakes or “1234” cakes. In 1919, Hostess introduced the first commercial Hostess CupCake, and we never looked back!
Cupcakes: More than Just a Dessert
The old recipes were simple and far from the decadent cupcakes we enjoy today! To impress your friends and colleagues with a unique cupcake gift, consider these Sweet Street favorites:
- Jelly Roll Cupcake – This yummy creation will delight berry lovers. The moist vanilla cupcake inside a raspberry-colored cup is filled with raspberry, iced with raspberry fluff, and decorated with raspberry candy.
- Vanilla Bean Cupcake – Vanilla lovers on your list will appreciate the Madagascar vanilla we use in our buttery vanilla bean cupcake. We fill it with a vanilla bean-flecked cream and top it off with a vanilla-flecked icing with a white chocolate coin.
- Red Velvet Cupcake – A classic! Ours is filled with a creamy chocolate truffle center and topped with cream cheese buttermilk fluff icing and a chocolate candy. The rich colors make it holiday-ready.
- Peanut Butter Cupcake – Our all natural rich chocolate cake meets its match with a decadent peanut butter-chocolate truffle center and fluffy peanut butter icing. A naughty miniature peanut butter cup sits on top, perfect for scooping.
- Chocolate Cupcake – Dark chocolate cake with a creamy bittersweet truffle center, and deep chocolate frosting topped with a pure dark chocolate coin. The key to happiness!
Choose from these or our other tantalizing options for personalized cupcake delivery in Chicago or anywhere else in the continental U.S. Shop online 24-hours-a-day at Sweet Street Desserts or get in touch with us at https://shop.sweetstreet.com/ to get started!